Just to let you know that Start Birding has organised a new “Birdwatching for Beginners” class at Rodley Nature Reserve in Leeds. The class will commence on Monday 3rd September, 7-9 p.m. and will initially run for 8 weeks. Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment.
The course will include the following subjects:
Technological information on binoculars
- Advice on what to ask when buying binoculars (please do not buy binoculars prior to coming on the course)
- Introduction to field guides – What to look for when buying a field guide
- How to take notes, lists and sketches
- Indoor birdwatching session with slides
- Bird topography
- Be prepared for all weathers: advice on outdoor clothing and what to take with you
- Birdwatching code of conduct
- Bird songs and calls
- Identifying birds using their characteristics or “Jizz”
- Bird habitats – knowing what to expect in a variety of different habitats
- Where to watch birds – bird reserves and local areas
- Bird groups and societies – what they do
- How to attract birds into your garden
- Feeding birds – what and when to feed
- Bird tables and bird boxes
- Indoor bird identification exercises
- An outdoor session will also be arranged on a weekend date to suit all participants.
The course will also include handouts, your first birdwatching notebook and the use of binoculars if you don’t have a pair already. NB: Please don’t buy binoculars prior to the course as I will give you advice so that you can make an informed choice when you are ready to do so.
I’m aiming for the course to continue after the half term break until Christmas then begin again from January to June so there will be plenty to learn over the coming year.
If you are not able to make it to an evening class and would like to attend a daytime class then please contact me to put your name on the waiting list.
Best wishes and I look forward to hearing from you.