Dear friends of Start Birding
Our icy blast from the north has certainly brought in those winter migrants
As we birdwatched at St Aidan’s on Tuesday, a family of whooper swans appeared and landed in the lake in front of us. They have come all the way from Iceland to spend the winter months in the UK.
Waxwings are arriving in good numbers with 4 being seen today in Fairburn Village, 8 being seen in Yeadon by the cricket and football field on 8th November and more being reported in Harrogate and Bradford and York over the last few days.
Starlings are gathering too and it looks as if we are getting more birds from the continent joining our resident flocks. Numbers have increased to 15-20,000 at St Aidan’s and the recent still nights have given us some good displays. If you are interested in being emailed separately for visits to see starlings and waxwings then please let me know as I’ll be running some short notice trips to see them.
If you’ve enjoyed your experience with Start Birding, you might like to consider giving someone a birdwatching voucher as a gift for Christmas.
See below for all the trips planned from now until the festive season.
Good luck with your winter birding
10am to 12 noon – optional breakfast from 9am. Transport available
This week’s 2 hour birdwatching class will be held at Mickletown Ings and St Aidan’s in the Lower Aire Valley. We start at 10am after an optional breakfast at Rivers Meet Cafe from 9am. £15 per person
Saturday 12th November – full day
Explore some of the lesser known sites in the Dearne Valley close to Barnsley and Rotherham and RSPB Old Moor. We’ll visit Adwick Washlands, Broomhill Flash, Wombwell Ings and possibly Edderthorpe Flash. We’ll also nip into Old Moor if anything of interest turns up. £55 per person.Book Event
Or see the whole calendar here
(NB: Book Tuesday and Friday sessions individually or get a discount for block bookings – call 07778 768719 for details)
- Friday 11th – Friday Birdwatchers: Mickletown Ings (10am to noon) – £15
- Saturday 12th – Birding in the Dearne Valley (full day) – £55
- Tuesday 15th – Tuesday Birdwatchers: Rodley NR special (9am to 1pm) – £25
- Friday 18th – Friday Birdwatchers: Temple Newsam (10am to noon) – £15
- Tuesday 22nd – Tuesday Birdwatchers: Ardsley Reservoir (9am to 11am) – £15
- Friday 25th – Friday Birdwatchers: Water Haigh (10am to noon) – £15
- Saturday 26th – WWT Martin Mere (full day) – £55 plus entrance fee
- Tuesday 29th – Tuesday Birdwatchers: Kirkstall Valley (9am to 11am) – £15
- Friday 2nd – Friday Birdwatchers: Rothwell Country Park (10am to noon) – £15
- Sunday 4th – Fewston Reservoir (9am to 1pm) – £25
- Tuesday 6th – Tuesday Birdwatchers: Skelton Woods (9am to 11am) – £15
- Thursday 8th – YWT Staveley (1pm to dusk followed by pub get together) – £25
- Friday 9th – Friday Birdwatchers: Woodlesford Lock (10am to noon) – £15
- Tuesday 13th – Tues Birdwatchers: Adel Dam and Xmas celebration – £15
- Friday 16th – Friday Birdwatchers: St Aidan’s and Xmas celebration – £15