Tools of the Trade
How to use the tools of the trade effectively
Whether you’re new to birdwatching, or you’ve been enjoying the hobby for a while, it’s important that you spend some time getting to know how to use the tools of the trade effectively. In fact, it’s an essential stage to becoming a good birdwatcher and one that is frequently bypassed in the eagerness to learn more about birds.
Here are some tips and resources to help you.
This guide will teach you what you need to know about binoculars and how to use them with speed and accuracy. It will help you to understand the binoculars you already have, by learning about their strengths and limitations, and it will help you to get the best out of them. It will also give you enough knowledge to make an informed choice if you decide to buy new optical equipment in the future.
- To avoid making an expensive mistake, please don’t buy any binoculars without learning a little about them
- When buying binoculars, choose a supplier that specialises in equipment for birdwatching, not your high street camera shop
- Choose a supplier that carries a wide range of makes and models
- Never buy on recommendation alone and it’s best not to let someone choose them for you
- Never buy mail order until you have compared different makes and models in a shop
- When comparing binoculars, make sure you set up each pair for your individual vision first
- Sign up to receive my newsletter which will notify you about my special binocular mornings. These will give you the opportunity to browse binoculars, with expert guidance, without any obligation to buy.
Field Guides (bird ID books)
Due to the rise in popularity of birdwatching as a hobby, there are now lots of bird books to choose from, many of which can be found in your high street bookstore.
With such a wide range on offer, which field guide do you choose? What makes a good field guide and what should you be looking for to help you identify birds more easily in the field? My handout will help you to demystify field guides and enable you to make the best choice to facilitate your learning.